8/7/10

summer and high fives

I spend about three hours a day outside with Amelia and Josephine, doing all sorts of things. Lots of art projects, dirt, grass, bugs, sandbox, climbing, etc. I'm starting to dread the weather turning, which I know is at least two months away, but right now the warmth is such a blessing for me. I mean, what do you DO with kids during the winter?! Most of my growing up years were spent in Texas and Hawaii, so the outdoors were always open. I guess I feel like I need to start storing ideas so I don't end up spending money. Most art projects can be done inside, but would involve more clean up than just the hose. Any suggestions are warmly welcome!

Both gals can slap you a good high-five these days, and Millie can say good-bye along with her waves. I met a two-month-old baby boy today and it threw in sharp relief that my twins are fourteen-months-old, and moving into toddler territory. They're growing so fast!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah. I am dreading the end of summer. It's a month away for us here in the northwoods.
    How do we survive winter? It's tricky. I have four kids, three of them have sensory "issues." One is a sensory seeker, one has autism, and one has full blown sensory processing disorder. (He's a big time sensory seeker.) SO I HAVE to find activities that are rich in sensory input. I've had some help from and OT. I do the brushing protocol. That soothes them. I also have things like spring horses to ride, sit and spins... my dad put a basket ball hoop up in the barn for them to play with in the winter. We bundle up and play outside whenever we can. We've got some great sledding hills on our farm. I buy stock in hot chocolate and keep lots on hand for when they come in. In January our sports season begins. The boys wrestle, and my 10 year old plays basketball. Good diversions for the middle of winter. We go to open swim at the high school pool whenever we can. My kids are not the kind that are into quiet activities in the house. (I wish they were.) When they were little I invested in a rubber maid sweater box and created a little sensory box for them. Fill it with various things... packing peanuts with little "treasures" hidden in it. Or sand, rice, beans, noodles... it was a good sensory activity. Without sensory input my second daughter would do things like dump nesquik all over the kitchen floor and walk through it.
    I miss Hawaii. Never had to look for sensory experiences there. All we had to do was go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

    ReplyDelete