5/28/14

chalk it up

I have one tall, deep pantry in my kitchen. The idea behind the design is good, but it is not ultimately functional. The shelves are too deep, food falls and gets lost in a cabinet-netherworld.
This was retrieved from the netherworld, and I can't believe we were living in the same house as this monstrosity. This is a lost, unopened jar of Prego alfredo sauce. Yup. That black spot? Totally mold. Revolting.
So I am ripping out the pantry. The whole thing. I am replacing it with open shelves, with labelled baskets, categorized by food type. As I was cleaning out the pantry, I found food I remember buying when I was pregnant with Eloise. I remember planning to make a specific pie. There was so much expired food stuff from 2013 it is as if our house was evacuated for 9 months. It was such a powerful reminder of how much has happened in the last year. I'm not the same woman I was when I bought that expired food. 

It was cathartic. I am painting the whole south wall in blue chalkboard paint, and I can't wait. It will be a good space for my girls to let their creativity spill onto the walls, and I will have fun with it. I'll post a picture when it is finished!

2 comments:

  1. Not only are open shelves more convenient, but they make a room look much bigger, too. That alone can make a room much more pleasant and easier to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several times I have thought about my life in relation to food expiration dates. When I buy things from the store, I sometimes consider what type of things will be happening in my life by the time the food expires. I recently realized that our new baby could be born before some perishable items could expire in our fridge. Or, like you, I sometimes reflect on the things that were happening (or the type of person that I was) when the food was initially purchased. In a unique way, food marks the passage of time.

    Our pantry is really deep and somewhat nonfunctional too. Just yesterday I found a package of unexpired chocolate bars, which was a rare surprise. Most of the time, though, my findings aren't as welcome. I hope you end up being happy with your reorganization!

    ReplyDelete