life, the old trickster

About 3/4 through this day I thought I had better record what a typical day for me is like during this period of my life. Because its a bit insane.

7 am: Wake up, make breakfast for everyone (waffles for the girls, steel cut oats with strawberries for Trevor and I). I clean 4 little girl faces, brush and braid hair, toothbrushes, shoes, and schoolbags. While this is happening, I let Eloise make an enormous mess "eat" some breakfast.
I do dishes, I do laundry.
I run 1.3 miles, and I listen to a lecture on Russian history 1850-1860. I want to read more Tolstoy. Then I practice 15 minutes of morning yoga while Eloise and Hazel play in the rice box.
I prepare Eloise's feeding bag and G-tube (this takes 20-30 minutes).
I take a five minute shower and blow dry my hair.

11:20 am: This is the drop-dead time I can leave the house to make it to pick up Josephine and Amelia from kindergarten in Provo on time. Getting Hazel out the door is like watching the continental drift. So. Painfully. Slow.
I do my make-up while in line waiting for the twins to get out of kindergarten.
I have a conversation with their teacher through the car window while Eloise is screaming madly at me because she dropped her toy.
During the drive I have one earbud listening to more Russian history.
We arrive home, I make Udon Miso soup with mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, and the fresh noodles I made yesterday. Eloise tries all of it, but spits out 80% of it onto her bib, lap and the floor.
I do dishes, I do laundry. Meanwhile I listen to Terry Gross interview Chris Impey about his experience teaching astronomy to Buddhist monks in Nepal, and I am engrossed.
I make slow cooker black beans and set them to cook for dinner.

2:00 pm: I do more work on Eloise's feeding bag and mix her more Nutren Junior, and put her down for a nap.
I make and knead dough for baguettes.
Story and tea time for the three older girls. I make them Little Dicken tea with cream and we eat the delicious shortbread cookies I made last night. We read poems from Now We Are Six, by A.A. Milne, and they have to listen for rhyming words.
Instead of homework today (we already turned in the last packet for the year), I give them a sewing lesson. Each girl poked their finger and got angry when they slipped the thread out of the needle, but asked to have another lesson tomorrow.
I do dishes.
The older girls have some play time on the iPad. I rest for exactly 10 minutes while the baguettes bake.

3:30 pm: My mom shows up to watch the other girls while I take Josephine to the pediatrician with an ear infection. She has a mild cold, but because her allergies are so severe the doctor suggests I take her to see an allergy specialist at Primary Children's Medical Center. I ask, "Is there anywhere else I could take her? I'd really rather not be...there."
The pharmacy doesn't have the correct dosage of antibiotic to treat Jo's ear infection. Phone calls ensue.
We come home, and I thank my parents for watching the other 3.
Dinner preparations. Trevor comes home.
I spend 20 minutes tending the rose bushes in the backyard.
I spend an hour finishing the elastic waist in the dress I'm making, and hem the skirt with gorgeous creamy lace. I listen to the next history of Russia lecture, 1860-1890. I contemplate Karl Marx.
I give Josephine her medications that miraculously we procured.
I prepare Eloise's feeding bag, read and then sing to Eloise, put her to bed.
I snuggle and pray with each girl.
I vacuum the downstairs, and do laundry.
I practice bedtime goodnight yoga.
I write this blog post.

You know, when I was in graduate school I thought I was so busy. Life is an old trickster.

No comments:

Post a Comment