6/3/10

Rings, Swords and Monsters

I listened to a lecture titled "Rings, Swords and Monsters" by Michael Drout, during which he argued that Tolkien was making a pro-bourgeois statement by presenting Bilbo as essentially bourgeois, the trolls as the working class (with names like Burt and Tom, and as the only characters with cockney accents), the goblins as the lowest class of factory workers and laborers (Communism - goblins are interchangeable automatons without names), and Smaug as the aristocracy, who sits on his pile of gold, ruining the local economy. It is a good mental exercise to apply a Marxist theory to a fantasy novel, but it didn't sit well with me. I think I didn't like it because I think Tolkien would have hated that reading, and I guess that fantasy literature typically is heroic in nature and not bogged down in mundane things like social hierarchy.

I also started my sewing class tonight and loved it, and the twins turn 1 next week. Life is passing by in a whirl of colors!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't think that Tolkein would have liked that reading very much. Still, that's a really interesting usage of Marxist theory. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete