12/3/10

3:30 am

Where did 3:30 am find Amelia last night? Reading a book. In her crib. Like it was the middle of the day. I came out and whispered, "Millie! WHAT are you doing?!" She pointed to her book and did her gerbil talk as if saying, "Mom, obviously, I'm like, reading." Funny kid. I promise to get some of her hilarious babble on here sometime soon.

Trevor gave me a blessing when all this craziness happened with the pregnancy and said it would be a trial for me. It was one of those moments when you think Grrrreat....And it has been. I hate feeling like if I'm not careful enough or restful enough I could harm the baby, but having a huge need to do things (like, feed the twins). I've left the house twice this week. I'm bothered by the possibility that it could be like this for the next nine weeks. Nine weeks is half a semester. That's a looooong time. It also means canceling our holiday travel plans completely. *Sigh.*

Much like last winter, sewing is going to see me through. Its very creative for me and I have an excellent resource in my mom. I've been eating up two books in particular brought to me through the helpful Springville Public Library's Interlibrary Loan: Embroidery Companion by Alicia Paulson and The Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule. I've particularly enjoyed the latter. Amanda Soule lives in rural Maine, and I love the way and what she writes. Its helped me remember what kind of mom I want to be, and has been a nourishing read. Its also full of good ideas for little ones.

You'd think 'bedrest' would equal more time reading or on the computer or something, but it just means I try to be comfortable lying on the floor playing with the twins' toys, which incidentally are almost 80% Melissa and Doug. Just about everything they make is appealing to me. I think my generation of mamas are anti-plastic, at least I am.

2 comments:

  1. I used to enjoy the Soule's. But I reached a point where their life was too perfect for me, and it interfered with my ability to accept and love my imperfect life. Because (among other things) in my imperfect life, I have relatives who give my kids plastic battery powered toys and in my imperfect life my kids love those dang toys. And I'm not going to create a family feud over the gifts, it just wouldn't be worth it. So there are toys (and articles of clothing) that belong to my kids that I just have to choose to be okay with.

    Anyhoo... that's my dealio with the Soules.... and now I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that you are on bedrest. I miss you. Let me know if I can do anything--some sort of dual-state telepathy might work?

    ReplyDelete