1/24/11

fabric upcycling

Sewing your own clothes from scratch with new fabric does not save money. Sewing your own clothes with old fabric does. That's why the shelf with the randomly assorted fabric in plastic bags at DI is my favorite thrifty spot. I love coming home with a bag of someone's unused fabric and sorting through it, imagining what I can create with it. Clothes, bags, home furnishings, etc. Its upcycling at its best and I like the creative challenge, and its oh-so cheap ($4 a bag). This last batch had a surprise bundle of beautiful blue woolen plaid, which will make some lovely fall skirts for the twins next fall. Usually the bags only have scraps, which just aren't as beneficial as yards of untouched fabric, but still fun. Sifting through the rack of old sheets is a good place as well for fabric thrifting. Most the sheets are stained, threadbare or just plain icky, but occasionally there's a winner. Some topsheets are obviously newer. I found just such a pretty sheet last time I was at DI, and am making some summer PJs for the girls with it. Having twins makes buying clothes rather expensive since you have to have two of everything. There's another gem of having another girl - little Hazel doesn't need a single item of clothing, that kid is covered. Anyway, sewing for two little ones with gently used fabric is saving us a lot of money in the long run, and its worth the effort.

PS ~ Oh, and I'm still pregnant. 2 weeks peeps. Its a touchy subject.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how you carve out the time and space to sew. I have so far failed miserably at getting over those two hurdles in sewing for my kids. (And boys are less fun to sew for anyway, although some people manage it)

    ReplyDelete