9/25/11

my inner bohemian

There are a few women in my ward my age or younger, with kids too. They are sweet and friendly, and they act so...mature. Like I feel like a teenager when I talk to them. They wear grown up clothes and its just in the way they talk. I feel like having three kids makes me grown up, and that I should be mature like these sisters. But I'm so not there. I still want to do crazy things. I still want to travel to crazy places and rock concerts and stay up way too late doing dumb things. I'm only 26, for gosh sakes! Why do I have to feel old just because I have a house and three kids? I just see these other women and how they act like experienced mothers, and I feel like I have more in common with the single college kids...Or like I want to interject into their very adult, and sometimes dull, conversation "I once swam naked in the Amazon river. That was wild."
I don't know. I don't think I'll ever feel old or mature like that. Just because I can't do as many crazy things because I do have these kids, it doesn't mean I can't make plans for when they're older, and do interesting things right now. Like read a book on Istanbul's markets, or visit the Hare Krishna temple. Its not that I feel social pressure to act as they do, just that I'm surprised by it, and don't feel quite like I fit in with them. Which is okay. We're all happy in our own spheres. And I have no intention of ever acting "old."

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me! I hope you always stay young, Miss Shelley.

    I hope you can find people in your ward that are more interesting and exciting. I've actually found that I've made good friends with the feisty, "older" ladies in my ward - they seem to have younger spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley, I think I completely agree with you. I do not think it is so much that we feel "younger" or anything, but more that we are just different people. And it is so much fun! So who cares! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hard time calling the other women in the ward by their first names. I still feel like I am in YW. I am in the RS Presidency and I still feel this way. I'm okay with it though. Keeps me feeling young. Well, I am young.. you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're lucky you've had the kind of a childhood that makes this a possibility. My mother was one of those children who raise their parents. I don't think she's ever not been a grown-up. And then.... she's my mother. So I was raised with a slightly absurd expectation of maturity and deportment. Issues. Your way sounds much healthier all around.

    ReplyDelete