11/22/11

times infinity and beyond...

I bought a set of Buzz Lightyear pajamas and a set of Snow White pajamas today. While Snow White and Buzz are nearly equal in the pantheon of my children's favorite characters, apparently they are not equal in jammies. I learned the hard way that Buzz PJs are cooler, times infinity and beyond...
Post bath, and not thinking about who I put in what, I dress Amelia in Snow White, and then Jo in Buzz. I watched as Millie's eyes grew as big as saucers when she saw the coolness of the Buzz jammies. I could read her every thought in her face. I knew what was next - "Mama - Buzz? Please, mama? Buzz jammies, mama?" Her heart broke when I told her I only had one Buzz jammies. Honestly it was the saddest I've ever seen her. What was I thinking?! Of course they'd BOTH want to be Buzz! Well, I know what I was thinking. "Oh, what sweet Snow White jammies!" Stupid, stupid!
Slumped shoulders and head drooped, Millie moped away. My head's buzzing with thoughts like "Oh my gosh - some psychiatrist down the road is going to ask her 'When did you start feeling like your mother loved your twin more than you?' And she'll answer, 'I don't know, but whenever I see Buzz Lightyear I feel pangs of jealousy..."
Suddenly I thought of a great compromise - Jo would have to let Millie wear the Buzz jammie pants, but keep the shirt. If I pulled the pants as high as they'd go, about her tummy level, it would look to her like she's wearing Buzz jammies too if she looked down. It worked. All night long they ran around the house saving the universe together.

4 comments:

  1. I'm imagining how bad this issue is for My two oldest, and they are 2.5 yrs apart. I'm guessing it's infinitely amplified with twins. The thought makes me tired for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice save, Shelley! I don't know that I would have thought of that. Too far outside the box. I'm too literal I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, the solution cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Shelley!!!! I laughed a LOT reading this!

    ReplyDelete