10/18/12

spitfire

After a four-minute trip to the restroom, I exited our bathroom to find the front door wide open. Josephine was pointing and emphatically telling me 'They're gone - Millie and Hazel!" That's a good way to get a mom's heart pounding. Indeed they were gone, almost to the end of the block. Running away just as fast as their chubby legs could go. Trevor is installing some chain locks out of children's reach as we speak.
And you know, that's not all Millie did today. She flooded the sink in the bathroom. She climbed on top of the counters and was trying to scale the fridge (why?!). She spilled dog food, ripped apart a book (there's nothing else my children can do to make me more angry), and threw rocks at our car. She made dirt angels in the driveway. She hit her sisters. She hit the dog. She broke a pinkie promise. She spit out her orange all over the couch. Over the last 7 nights she woke the entire household 16 times. Amelia is a spitfire, with adventures to have that are too big for her little body. 
And yet, this scripture came to me from 3 Nephi 14:8-11:

"8 For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.
 Or what man is there of you, who, if his son ask bread, will give him a stone?
 10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
 11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"
Despite Millie's antics, I of course want the best for her. I love her with all my heart. I want her to have good gifts, I want her to have all that is good in the world. She's my darling girl no matter what she puts me through. If I can love her that much, it makes Heavenly Father's love all the more real and tender to me. 

1 comment:

  1. My mother tells me I was the same kind of little girl. HAng in there.

    ReplyDelete