- The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - I'm always in a stage of re-reading one of them.
- Harry Potter by JK Rowling I've read all of them at least five times, and I always feel like I could dive right back in again.
- Summers at Castle Auburn, by Sharon Shinn. I love this book so, so much. It appeals to me on every level.
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimon. I have re-read this every year since I first did. Walking in old graveyards is one of my favorite things to do, and imagining all these antiquated ghosts raising a child fascinates me. And who can say no to Gaimon?!
- Cleopatra, by Stacy Schiff. My favorite biography I've ever read. Cleopatra's life, personality and world has always entranced me, and this book is so lively and wonderful.
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is one of those books that has stayed with me since childhood.
As a rule, I don't re-read books. They are specific to the time and place I read them. But I've been thinking about this, and there are a handful of exceptions that I do re-read almost every year. I think these must be my 'favorite' books, right?