10/17/12

the exceptions

As a rule, I don't re-read books. They are specific to the time and place I read them. But I've been thinking about this, and there are a handful of exceptions that I do re-read almost every year. I think these must be my 'favorite' books, right?

  • The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien - I'm always in a stage of re-reading one of them.
  • Harry Potter by JK Rowling I've read all of them at least five times, and I always feel like I could dive right back in again.
  • Summers at Castle Auburn, by Sharon Shinn. I love this book so, so much. It appeals to me on every level.
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimon. I have re-read this every year since I first did. Walking in old graveyards is one of my favorite things to do, and imagining all these antiquated ghosts raising a child fascinates me. And who can say no to Gaimon?!
  • Cleopatra, by Stacy Schiff. My favorite biography I've ever read. Cleopatra's life, personality and world has always entranced me, and this book is so lively and wonderful.
  • The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is one of those books that has stayed with me since childhood.

3 comments:

  1. Loved this. We're of like mind on this subject. And our re-reads are surprisingly similar.

    I just read THE GRAVEYARD BOOK for the first time last month and was thoroughly enchanted by it. I put it on my Favorite Books Book Shelf and everything, although I do think a few things were left unanswered that should have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton? If not - I think you would love that book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I re-read Summers at Castle Auburn every summer, and re-read/listen to the Harry Potter series on a frequent basis! We are indeed sisters! :)

    ReplyDelete