5/8/14

Do not live in fear of darkness

I have been following the Nigerian girl kidnappings. It is such repulsive, barbaric and repugnant story. I hope the international attention and the explosion on social media not only aids to return the girls, but perhaps brings change to that part of the world. Having four daughters of my own, these stories have a deep impact. I have been thinking about what I would want my girls to know, what they would have in their hearts, to help them if something like this happened to them, God in heaven forbid. What would I want to tell those schoolgirls if they were mine? I've been mulling it around in my head, and this it:

My darling girl, God in heaven loves you. He cares about the choices you make, and the things that happen to you. Of course I only want the best and most magnificent experiences for you, but that likely won't be the case. You will have dark days. You will have heartbreak, and others will use their agency and choices in a way that will affect you badly. There are people who are led down dark paths, some choose to be wicked, and there is true evil out there. We all choose. But because others have inflicted pain, overpowered, abused, or neglected you, does not mean that God does not love you. They used their freedom to take yours, which is the worst of crimes.
You must hold on to the beautiful things in this world. Things that make your heart sing. Remember times when your heart was full, and feel God's love. 
I know that isn't enough all the time. There are heartbreaks that never mend. It is terrifically unfair. The comfort I have found is in beauty, magic, and love. When these good things come, as Dickens says, make sure to give it a comfortable seat. Don't ignore chances to experience the best in this world because of petty things, and do not live in fear of darkness.
"Trust no Future, howe’er pleasant! Let the dead Past bury its dead! Act,— act in the living Present! Heart within, and God o’erhead!"

No comments:

Post a Comment