9/20/14

My George Bailey Moment and the Bake Sale

I was asking for advice from a wise friend a few days ago. I told him I have come to some sort of resignation, an acceptance, that the life I imagined for myself will never happen. I've had to give up on so many dreams. I may never write a dissertation, or go for a PhD. I may never go back to France. I may never teach at a university. And I have to be alright with all of that. In order to find joy in the present I have to let go of my disappointed hopes. So I asked him, is it worth it? Will it be worth it?
Then he brought up the 1946 movie Its a Wonderful Life, with James Stewart. Remember that part that's hardest to watch? When he breaks his model bridges and throws and kicks everything off his desk? My friend believes that is exactly where I am. The relentless frustration of having ambitions and motivations greater than my responsibilities allow, and how completely different my life turned out to be. But what happens in the end? George Bailey's brother proclaims him 'the richest man in town,' and George and his family are surrounded by the love and support of so many.
My George Bailey moment came much sooner than I anticipated. I started Funds for Eloise only 22 days ago, out of a crushing sense of worry. The speed of responses, the outpouring of generosity, the kindness and love showered on our family has left me speechless. Today's Bake Sale was a tremendous success, thanks to so many people. The Springville community, family, neighbors, old friends, new friends, ward members, children, teenagers, adults, octogenarians, even strangers have donated money, time and efforts for our cause. I am amazed and humbled by the love and generosity in peoples' hearts for a little girl who was born without the ability to eat.

Now I know how George Bailey felt, because I feel like the richest person in town tonight.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day, and what a beautiful family!! I love you all. I wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two consecutive pictures of you first and then Jo, pulling the exact same pose and face. Looks just like you! Such a pretty family.

    I sent some friends there today! I know of at least 1 who went. We wish we could have been there, but I'm glad I could have a friend attend in our absence! I've yet to even meet sweet Eloise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! We are so glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post with great news! "It's a Wonderful Life" is one of my favorite movies; I can't help but get emotional during the last scene where George is surrounded by friends and everyone sings "Auld Lang Syne." I think that it is in our darkest moments that we also feel the love of others most keenly. At least, that is my experience. I hope you continue to feel the love and support of others in the months ahead. And hooray for successful fundraising!

    Also, I noticed that your hair is a different color than the blue hair you had earlier in a previous post. Did you get tired of the color? I hope that the negative comments you received didn't deter you. I thought it was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it was a success! I was hoping we'd be able to make it down, but things didn't work out. Also I love your haircut, it looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete