2/11/15

36 questions

When I heard the end of Diane Rehm's program "Is There a Science to Falling in Love?", I thought it would be interesting to ask my spouse the 36 questions mentioned. People are always changing, and the answers you would think today wouldn't be the same tomorrow or ten years from now. In honor of this blog representing moments of time in my life, I thought I'd write out my responses to a few of the questions on the list...
1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
Malala Yousafzai. Obviously. 

2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
I wish I were famous as an art historian, because I answered some time-old historical question in a published paper in an "Of course that's the answer, its been in front of us for millennia! But only someone with unique perspective could bring it to light!" sort of way. I would just love to travel the world giving lectures and presenting papers.

4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
Marakesh, Morocco. I would wake in an Air B&B rental, not a hotel or hostel. Quick breakfast, 30 minute yoga practice, then off to the market in the old center of town, haggle for vegetables and spices and fabrics. Then I'd like to take an architectural tour via a Vespa, and maybe lunch somewhere owned by an interesting local with fascinating stories and even more delicious food. The afternoon I would love to visit art galleries or historical sites, and spend some time reading and/or writing. Then swimming somewhere. Go home and cook dinner, maybe watch a movie or go out dancing. Perfect.

7. Do you have a secret hunch about how you will die?

I've never thought I'd live to 'a ripe old age.'

13. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?

I wish I could see what pitfalls are ahead in each of my children's teenage years/young adulthood, so I could prepare them ahead of time!

17. What is your most treasured memory?

Honestly, my daughters' first experience at the beach. Their open-hearted joy was breathtaking.

18. What is your most terrible memory?

Easy. After Eloise had her J-tube placed, she came back to the Utah Valley NICU having blue spell after laryngospasm after blue spell. It was the first time she had them, I couldn't hold her post-op, she was terrified and in a lot of pain, and I could not do a single thing for her. I was entirely powerless and alone, watching her suffer, and on top of that someone I loved was pointedly ignoring me. I couldn't tolerate the entire situation, and ran out weeping. I hid in the only place where one can be alone in the NICU: the restroom. Of course there are only two bathrooms for parents on the whole floor, but I didn't care. I locked the door and cried and cried for over an hour. Then I had to clean myself up, and walk right back into that impossible situation.
If that isn't the low point of my life, I certainly hope my answer to #7 is accurate.

21. What roles do love and affection play in your life?
Exhausting roles. These children around me want my entire attention, affection and love, all the time. And love is always complicated.

29. Share with your partner an embarrassing moment in your life.

I threw a Halloween party at my house when I was 15, and my boyfriend showed up wearing skin-tight green nylons and not enough purple balloons.

34. Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire. After saving your loved ones and pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be? Why?
My 18th century map of France.

I'd love to read your answers, and leave comments on mine :)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment