6/8/15

Old Europe

When I was about 9 months old, my mother and father flew to Germany, leaving me with relatives. I think it partly explains why my whole life I've felt like I really belong in Europe, I'm just staying with relatives. That and I think most of my past lives were spent in France.
Recently my dear friend Ann and I were discussing the changes we've noticed in Europe in recent years. They feel like drastic changes, happening quickly. Of course, cultures must evolve and change or they will lose vitality and eventually disappear. But it feels like the things that have defined European culture for centuries are quickly fading. Like families living in major cities, cafe culture, or larg(er) families. Small things too, like Ann mentioned, buses smell the exact same in any major city around the world. The amount of villas in Italy that are for sale, neglected or outright abandoned is heartbreaking. Churches are empty, and while the architecture remains the same, the purpose has become depressingly mercantile...like housing Starbucks...*tears*. Globalization and instant communication have made the world smaller, but perhaps at the expense of the individuality of cultures and quirky nationalities. It makes me sad. I live for cultural quirks, art and meaningful experiences in gorgeous architecture.
Ann and I aren't the only ones mourning the older Europe, right?

1 comment: