7/28/15

Baby Bread

School starts again in three weeks. What's that? Is that...angels singing? I think it is. This is the first year I will pack lunches for my girls, and they are (of course) picky eaters. I've had my eyes out for good lunch packing ideas that my kids will actually eat, and are somewhat healthy. I decided I should start blogging about my finds, because I know there are lots of other moms who need help with this! 
My win for Team Mama today are mini bread loaves. My girls get tired of sandwiches, and all they really want is bread with butter and my homemade strawberry jam. So when I saw a six mini loaf pan at Target yesterday, the lightbulb went on.
They are cute, tasty, mostly healthy, my kids will gobble them up, and they fit perfectly in a lunch box. Score! Here's my recipe:
2 cups flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons salt
Mix these together in a bowl with a whisk.

Two shredded wheat biscuits
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/4 cup boiling water

Place the two shredded wheat biscuits in a bowl. These are the old-fashioned shredded wheat, the large, unsweetened biscuits. Pour the molasses, the sugar, and the butter over the biscuits. Then pour the boiling water over that. Let it sit until the whole mixture comes to room temperature. If you put the yeast in before then, it may be too hot, and kill the yeast. So give it a good half an hour or so. Once the mixture has reached a nice lukewarm temperature, mix in the yeast. Let the mix sit for 10 minutes. With a bread dough hook on your mixer, combine the flour and yeast mixtures and knead for 10ish minutes. Cover the bowl with seran wrap, and let it rise for 2 hours. 
Once the first rise is complete, punch it, and place the dough on a cutting board. Cut the dough in half, and put one half in a regular, greased loaf pan. The other half cut into six equal pieces. Grease your mini loaf pan, and place the little dough sections in it. Let it rise for another hour or two.
Preheat your oven to 350°. Place the mini loaf pan and, after 15 minutes cover it with tented aluminum foil to avoid over-browning. Bake for another 15 minutes, et voilá! Baby bread! The same instructions go for the regular loaf, 15 minutes and then the tented aluminum foil, and then another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment