12/5/15

Passion for British Landscape

Today I visited the current exhibition of British Landscapes at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. It was such a delightful exhibit, with really excellent paintings. I was most surprised by Thomas Jones' The Bard, 1774, because I had included it in a paper I wrote on Ossian and Napoleon in graduate school. It felt like recognizing a friend in a room of strangers! It was exciting to see a painting in person I have written about, but I must admit that not much is lost in translation from oil on canvas to ink in a book. Its such a highly polished painting with easy, earthy tones that making accurate copies of it isn't that difficult. Unlike this painting by Oskar Kokoschka, also in the exhibit:
I was captivated by this, and seeing digital or print copies does not do it justice. The wild colors and thick impasto make a much larger impression in person! As do all of Monet's paintings, naturally. Monet's painting in the exhibit was effervescent as if it was glowing. So often when one looks at replications of Monet's work, the images are cropped smaller than the frame the painting is housed in, and you miss some great details. You know you're looking at a Monet in person when you can see the unfinished canvas at the edges:
 Glorious!

2 comments:

  1. Sooo I just noticed that you're not on facebook... or I did something to offend you... but I'm pretty sure it's the former (which shows how often I check facebook, since you probably went incognito some time ago). I wanted to send you this link and it definitely made me smile that your current post was about paintings of British landscapes. Anywho, if you haven't heard about this, I suspect you'll find it interesting: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/07/stonehenge-first-erected-in-wales-secondhand-monument?CMP=share_btn_fb

    ReplyDelete
  2. No my dear - I left Facebook - and probably permanently. It's just too much, and I do better without it in my life!

    ReplyDelete