7/9/09

F. Scott and I

Josephine has made remarkable improvement over the last 24 hours. I think she's a girl with her very own ideas of what she will and won't do. It's like we've finally found a compromise. Yes, she must have breastmilk, but thicker and through a bottle. All the doctors and nurses are making it seem like our departure is getting closer and closer. Like we're waiting for a late train.

On another note, I listen to a lot of NPR while in the hospital. On Sunday I heard one of the greatest radio pieces I've heard from Studio 360 on F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. You can listen to it here:

I found it fascinating and thoroughly engrossing. It's also made me re-consider Fitzgerald, and I've started reading some of his shorter and lesser works, and enjoying them a lot. Such an economy of words - but just the right words. Since we can entertain no more visitors in the NICU because of the swine flu, F. Scott Fitzgerald is making for a fine companion.

Let's hope my next post reads something like: THEY'RE HOME. Please keep praying for them - it seems to be doing the trick :)!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I love American literature. Have you read "Reading Lolita in Tehran?" I had a copy, but I'm 90% sure it went to DI in my packing and moving, interesting read though.

    On a much more important note, I am so relieved to hear that Josephine is improving. I was really worried about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY that the girls might come home soon! I sure hope that's the case!

    I'm so glad that you're able to read/think about Fitzgerald while in the NICU. Really, I'm just glad that you can think about something that isn't baby-related or stressful. I would go insane if I wasn't able to read or research for a bit each day.

    And thanks for sharing the Fitzgerald clip. I remember reading The Great Gatsby in high school, and I enjoyed it a lot. I should check out some of Fitzgerald's other stuff. Do you have any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed you so. I'm so glad that Jo is doing better. Such an independent spirit.

    Love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley--I just wanted to say hello and let you know I miss you! I'm so glad that the girls are doing better--they are both so beautiful. Your strength and faith is truly amazing, and the girls are extremely blessed to have you and Trevor. Love to you all. :)

    ReplyDelete