5/7/12

josephine's imagination

I caught Josephine trying to get her big toe into the boot of her Flynn Rider doll. I asked her what on earth she was doing, she replied: "I want to wear Rider's boots." Me: "Well, honey, you will never, ever get your feet to fit into those boots." Jo: "You can fix them, Mama." Me: "Sorry Jo."

This kid has a powerful imagination. Her ideas are so far out of the gravity-pull of earth it astounds me. Like the time she wanted me to pull the airplane out of the sky so she could hold it. When she thought wearing a monkey tail would give her monkey-climbing powers. She thought that if she jumped high enough on the trampoline she could fly through the clouds. She routinely believes my mama powers should be able to bring book illustrations to life.

I die a little inside every time I see that confusion and disappointment in her eyes when she can't do the things she imagines are possible. Her inner landscape is such an adventurous place, full of helpful monkeys and fairy wings. It causes her a lot of frustration when the actual world doesn't match up with her ideas. Tears, tantrums, irritations. But by gum I love that little girl, and her wonderful imagination. I can't wait to see what she does with it.

3 comments:

  1. She reminds me of Spencer! I remember him creating a pair of wings, and then running down the street. He truly believed he would fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, from the stories I've heard, with the frustrations from imagination and reality, she sounds just like me when I was her age! And I remember the many tantrums I used to throw..... :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous, insightful post. I loved it. I have to say I can relate to Jo. And seriously she's truly your daughter.

    ReplyDelete