8/18/14

Picky picky

I texted my dear friend Alison while shopping the other day, "What do you feed your kids?!?" She also has picky eaters, and a mom with picky eaters only wants to hear recipe ideas from another mom of picky eaters. She said it is a routine problem for her too, and we should brainstorm together sometime.
But if I am out of my house, and with Alison, the last thing on earth I want to do is discuss what I am going to feed my kids. So I thought I would write a blog about my recent successes in the eating department. 
We call them 'heart pies.'
Dough:
3 Cups flour
4 Tablespoons dry milk
3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 cup warm water

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Separately stir in salt, sugar and dry milk. Add flour, and stir dough until it makes a ball. Knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes, until soft. May need a little more flour. 
Grab a handful of dough, and use a rolling pin to create rectangles. For filling, I used ham and cheese, pb & j, and some with tomatoes, chicken and cream cheese. I painted them with butter, and added little hearts and flowers to differentiate between the flavors.
Bake heart pies for 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

These are messy, and take a good 40 minutes to assemble, but the best part? They freeze well. To unthaw: heat in an oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  

The next success: Buriyana masked in basmati rice:


No comments:

Post a Comment